ENNEREG Good Practice
Charging points for electric cars Triangle Region, Denmark - ENNEREG Good Practice in Sustainable Transport and Mobility Management
To promote the use of electric car and to convince people that it is possible to charge the car in public places, the Triangle Region and the local utility company, TRE-FOR has developed and implemented an infrastructure for electric cars in the Triangle Region. Furthermore, the utility company has provided a number of electric cars to the municipalities in the Triangle Region, to build up experience in using electric cars in daily operations.
To promote the use of electric car and to convince people that it is possible to charge the car in public places, the Triangle Region and the local utility company, TRE-FOR has developed and implemented an infrastructure for electric cars in the Triangle Region.
Furthermore, the utility company has provided a number of electric cars to the municipalities in the Triangle Region, to build up experience in using electric cars in daily operations.
Aims and Objectives
- The objective of the project is to show that the Triangle Region has an infrastructure for electric cars and that you can buy an eletric car and not be uncertain whether you can charge your car if you run out of power.
- The objective is also to see if and how it is possible to use the electric car in the municipalities‘ daily operations.
- The objective is further to gain experience in how and when the charging points are used. This is important for TRE-FOR.
- The aim was to place up to 30 charging points in the region and use its own designed charging point.
Results and Impacts
Investment: approx. 400 (kEuro)
- 30 charging point in the Triangle Region, 6 electric cars to the municipalities.
- Good results and experiences with the use of electric cars in the municipalities.
- Fits the needs in many of daily the operations in the municipalities.
Start Date: December 2010
End Date: April 2013
Primary energy savings: not known
Reductions of greenhouse gas emissions: not known
Technical and Financial Implementation
Technical implementation: The charging point was design locally as part of the project. The charging point is a simple model with only one phase, but the whole infrastructure behind is prepared for further development and extention. The charging point is placed under different circumstances and the idea is that the utility company TRE-FOR can use the experience from the charging to scale the electric infrastructure if is becomes necessary. It is important for the future electric infrastructure to know how and when the charging takes place.
Financial implementation: The project was financed by Triangle Region and TRE-FOR. The design phase and CE approval was financed by Triangle Region and the rest of the project was split between the utility company and the Triangle Region Denmark except for connection charges. The electric cars in the project was leased by the utility company and then given to the municipalities for a period of 2 year.
The Partners and Stakeholders
The project was develop between the utility company and Triangle Region. Design Skolen Kolding was also participating. The municipalities participated as advisers in relation to the design phase and the location of the charging point.
There is a need for standards for charging points. Each electric car needs up to several different connectors if it has to be sure to charge when it needs power. The municipalities have few problems using electric cars. They just have to plan the use. The electric cars cannot be used for 24 hour driving – eg. home care, where cars are used 24 hours a day. The employees likes the electric car due to different circumstances like no or little noise, easy to drive, comfortable driving etc.
Related Information on the Regions 202020 Website:
- Sustainable Energy Theme(s): Electric vehicles : Sustainable transport and mobility management
- Region(s)/Community(ies): DK: Kolding : DK: Middelfart : DK: Triangle
- Country(ies): Denmark
Last updated: 12/12/2011 4:27pm - Contact: Jakob LORENZEN - Email