BioEnerGIS - GIS-based decision support system aimed at a sustainable energetic exploitation of biomass at regional level.
On this page:
The Intelligent Energy - Europe BioEnerGIS Project intends to provide instruments helping decision makers to plan, on a regional scale, the sustainable energy exploitation of biomass. A GIS-based Decision Support System, named BIOPOLE, has been developed to locate the most suitable sites - in terms of energy, environmental, social and economic sustainability - for biomass plants installations. Four regions, representing different environmental and economic zones, have been investigated:
- Lombardy (Italy)
- Northern Ireland (UK)
- Wallonia (Belgium)
The aims of BioEnerGIS were to:
- develop GIS-based standard methodologies aimed at mapping, at regional scale:
- the biomass potentially exploitable for energy purposes;
- the energy demand from potential final bioenergy users.
- identify reference plant configurations in terms of technological options and financial support schemes.
- develop BIOPOLE, a GIS-based tool aimed at identifying the most suitable sites for the installation of appropriate biomass conversion plants, by combining the supply and demand-side data as well as local legislation. BIOPOLE will help decision makers to choose, in a transparent way and by means of a participated process, the optimal (energy, environmental and economic sustainability approach) location and design of biomass plants.
- promote target groups aimed at:
- raising the general awareness of biomass potentials;
- fostering public and private investments in the sector.
Below is a list of BioEnerGIS publications, presentations and other resources available on this Regions 202020 Website. Further publications, news articles and resources may be available on the main BioEnerGIS website: http://www.bioenergis.eu
The European Project BioEnerGIS - co-funded by the Intelligent Energy for Europe Programme 2007-2013 - is aimed, among others, at providing an instrument which helps decision makers to plan, on a regional scale, the sustainable exploitation of biomass.
The Geographic Information System (GIS)-based Decision Support System (DSS) BIOPOLE has been developed to find out the most suitable - in terms of energy, environmental and economic sustainability - locations for new biomass plants feeding district heating systems.