Policy & Legislation
European Renewable Energy Legislation
This webpage includes information and links to EU Renewable Energy Legislation including the use of renewable energy in transport.
View the Website [EN - English]
Renewable sources of energy - wind power, solar power (thermal and photovoltaic), hydro-electric power, tidal power, geothermal energy and biomass - are an essential alternative to fossil fuels. Using these sources helps not only to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from energy generation and consumption but also to reduce the European Union's (EU) dependence on imports of fossil fuels (in particular oil and gas).
In order to reach the ambitious target of a 20% share of energy from renewable sources in the overall energy mix, the EU plans to focus efforts on the electricity, heating and cooling sectors and on biofuels. In transport, which is almost exclusively dependent on oil, the Commission hopes that the share of biofuels in overall fuel consumption will be 10% by 2020.
Topics covered include:
* Promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources
* Renewable Energy Road Map
* "Intelligent Energy for Europe" programme (2003-2006)Archives
* The Global Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Fund
* Renewable energy: the share of renewable energy in the EU in 2004Archives
* Renewable energy: the promotion of electricity from renewable energy sources
* Support for electricity from renewable energy sources
HEATING AND COOLING
* Biomass Action Plan
* EU strategy for biofuels
* Motor vehicles: use of biofuels
* Promotion of offshore wind energy
Related Information on the Regions 202020 Website:
- Sustainable Energy Theme(s): Biomass & Bioenergy : Renewable energy sources (RES) : Sustainable transport and mobility management : Wind
- Country(ies): Austria : Belgium : Bulgaria : Cyprus : Czech Republic : Germany : Denmark : Estonia : Spain : Finland : France : Greece : Hungary : Ireland : Italy : Lithuania : Luxembourg : Latvia : Malta : Netherlands : Poland : Portugal : Romania : Sweden : Slovenia : Slovakia : United Kingdom
Last updated: 17/08/2011 11:33am - Contact: Katy HALL - Email